• Question: What is your main goal to achieve in your career and how do you motivate yourself to follow that(are there any end results you really enjoy seeing)?

Asked by 466nucq37 to Sophia, Meirin, Andy on 15 Mar 2019.
    • Photo: Meirin Oan Evans

Meirin Oan Evans answered on 15 Mar 2019:

During my career I hope I learn many new and interesting things. Some of these things will be new to only me, others I hope will be new to everyone on Earth! Importantly though, I want to then share what I’ve learnt with others, this is the real motivation for me. What I love seeing the most is a smile on someone’s face when they’re genuinely interested to hear about my work. I love it even more when this is a young person, who could then be inspired to follow science!

• Photo: Andy Buckley

Andy Buckley answered on 15 Mar 2019:

I just want to do cool and interesting stuff, so I learn things and have fun, while helping us (humanity!) to discover new things about our universe. I don’t have any one great research summit I want to climb… more about the journey than the destination, as they say. Some people are very different and really want to discover some new thing; I’m more motivated by the methods being interesting. This explains why I don’t like being a manager very much: meetings might be necessary to take the big project forward, but in secret that’s not the thing that drives me *eek*

Separately from the research, I really want to be a good physics educator. It’s not easy: there are hard concepts, and everyone learns or has conceptual trouble in different ways. I think/hope I’m still getting better…

• Photo: Sophia Pells

Sophia Pells answered on 15 Mar 2019:

At the moment my main career goals are to get my PhD and to get my first research paper published. I find the area I am researching really interesting so it is quite easy to keep myself motivated 🙂